About Me

My photo

I am a 37 year old nurse who is currently not working due to medical issues. I have chosen to pass my time crafting, but because I am not working, I have little money to spend on supplies. I have a small stash from while  I was still working but am now using what I have access to around the house. I also use things I can find cheaply at the dollar store, in the dollar bins, on clearance, or buy with coupons at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I also like to shop thrift stores and garage sales for things to use in my crafting. You would be surprised with what you can find if you aren't afraid to prowl a little.

Monday, July 15, 2013

One Layer Card (sort of)

As I am serving as the guest designer for the Outlawz CAS challenge this month, I would like to share one of my designs. This weeks challenge is a one layer card. Here is what I came up with
This is an A2 card made of plain white card stock. The image is a freebie from Tidbits and is simply called Dahlia. The sentiment is just a word document done in 2 different fonts. I usually create my cards in Microsoft Publisher, as I find it is more user friendly for graphics than Word. I do not have a graphics program like Photo shop or the like.

I started by adding a 5.5x4.25 square to my page (on the computer) so I would know where the boundaries of my card are.  I then copied and pasted my image onto the page and manipulated it until I has happy with the size and position. I the added a text box with the sentiment on the lower left hand corner. The card was then printed and cut out.

I wanted to make it sort of look like there were 2 layers of paper, but also was going for a modified spotlight/triptic look. To achieve this, I added black lines that are 1/4: thick to both ends of the card as well as in the middle of the card effectively splitting the card into 3 panels which get progressively bigger in size.

The leaves were colored with a Certainly Celery Stampin' Up marker. The flowers were colored with a light pink Sharpie marker. The veins on the flower were highlighted with a darker pink Sharpie. The shaded area were made darker simply by coloring over them several times with the same color.

I added rhinestones to the flower center. I guess technically this makes it a 2 layer card, but it was just screaming for some bling!

I am going to try to do a tutorial on this. I haven't quite figured out the best way to do so.  Anyway, I hope you like it.

Miranda.

No comments:

Post a Comment