Tuesday, July 16, 2013

One Layer Spotlight Triptic Card Tutorial

I had a few requests for a tutorial on the one layer card I did. So, here goes. I sure how this makes sense.

1. Turn on your computer and bring up the program you use to manipulate your digital stamps. I use Microsoft Publisher.
2. The next thing I do is to create a square on my page to size of my card. In this case, I chose 5x7.
3.  Import your image into your program and position it where you would like it to be on your card. I enlarged the image to 3.75" x 3.75" and positioned it so that there was about 1/4" white space between 3 sides and the edge of the card.
4. Next add your sentiment and position it where you would like it.
5. Print
This is what it looks like after being printed.
6.  Next is add the lines that will represent your bottom layer. I chose pink to match the color I wanted to  color my flower. Feel free to use any color you want. The lines are 1/8" in from the edge of the card on both ends of the card.
7.  Next, measure 1/8" from the line you just made and add another line. This will be the start of your black dividing lines.

 
Here I noticed that my sentiment was going to run into my black divider line, so I masked it off with a piece of scrap paper and adhered it with low residue tape. I think I acutally got this tape in the floral department at Michael's. It's like masking tape that doesn't stick well. At this point I decided to trace around the mask with my black marker effectively adding an ink border to my sentiment.

8. Now, starting at the left hand side of your card, measure 1" from the black line you just drew and draw another line. Once that  line is drawn, measure 1/8" and make another black line.


 
9.  Now, meausure in 1.75" and draw another line. Measure 1/8" in from that line and draw another line.
 
10. Now mask off your lines with removable tape, and start coloring





11. Now it's time to color your center panel. I always start with my lightest color then go back in and add my shading colors.



12. Cut out your card. In this demo, I only did the card front. If I were going to use this as a card, I would have mad the entire card measure 7" x 10" and folded in half. By doing it this way, I only have a card front. I can either use it as a post card type card, or I can add it to a regular card in the future.
13. Embellish as desired. I added rhinestones to the flower centers on an almost identical card. This step technically makes it a two layer card.


This is how I chose to make this card. To save some steps, you could have added the pink and black layers using your graphics program. I chose to do it this way for 2 reasons: 1) I wanted my flower and the edge colors to match. 2) I find printer ink rather expensive and would rather use my markers to add the color than to use up all my ink on something I can color without an issue.

Hope this is helpful to you! Have fun and feel free to ask questions.

Miranda
 






5 comments:

  1. Miranda, this is a BRILLIANT process and a SUPER FABULOUS tutorial!!!! I love, love, LOVE this technique of yours and I can't wait to try it :) You have given me an alternative when I do not have the color paper I want...just break out my markers and pens :) Thank you soooo much for taking the time to do this....you ROCK GF!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pryn! I appreciate the blog love and hope you have fun with this! This process has endless applications!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tutorial, Miranda! Thank you so much for making this and sharing it with all of us. I agree with Pryn.....it's super inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri! I hope you have fun with it! There is so much that you can do with it!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous tutorial. Easy to follow instructions. And what a beautiful card at the end!

    ReplyDelete