Friday, March 1, 2013

Cup Cake Wrapper Flower

Hey again! Well, I know I mentioned a shadow box yesterday, but I wasn't feeling it today. So how about a quick tutorial. This was inspired by the many tutorials on the Internet on how to make folded circle flowers.

OK, so, I was feeling lazy and didn't really feel like firing up the cricut and didn't want to cut circles by hand, but really wanted to make one of the flowers. Then I remembered that I had left over cup cake wrappers from Christmas, and they are round. So, I decided to give it a try.
I started out with 12 cup cake wrappers, a hot glue gun, and a 2" circle that I cut out of an empty girl scout cookie box.
Fold the wrapper in half, only flattening the flat center of the wrapper.
Fold into 3rds. Put a small dab of glue as above.
Continue folding until you get a petal that looks like the one above. Repeat this for all 12 petals.
Put a dab of glue in the center of the 2" circle and place 6 of the petals. Make sure when you glue the petals down that the folds of the petals are all facing the same way.
Now, you see there are some spaces where there are no petals. That's OK. In order to fill these spaces, take your next 6 petals and glue them in so that the center of the petal is aligned with the junction of where two petals in the first row meet. When you do this, make sure the folds of the petals are facing the opposite way of the folds in the first row. This will make the flower fuller.
You can continue this process until you end up with a pom pom like flower, or you can stop here and add a flower center. I chose to add a flower center.
 I think this would look great as a gift topper. It might even be cute on a headband. Using smaller cup cake wrappers would be cute for a mini album or maybe a tag. You are only limited by your imagination.

Thanks for stopping by!

Miranda






No comments:

Post a Comment