Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Finished Hidden Drawer Book Stack

Well, I finished the hidden drawer book stack I was working on for my sister. Considering it is the first time I have attempted something like it, I think it turned out pretty good. I haven't taken pictures of the finished project yet, but I do have some pictures of the  book on the top of the stack. I do need to say that this is not an original idea of mine. The inspiration came from MsLiberty25 on YouTube and I used a template I found on line for the drawers. If you google Treasure Box Mini
By Jim R. Hankins The Gentleman Crafter, you should be able to find it.
Above is the cover of the book that will be on the top of the stack. Most of the elements on this page I either made or have had in my stash for quite some time. I did not go out an buy anything for this project.

 I made the rose in the bottom corner from the giant flowers Cricut cartridge, but instead of putting the petals on what the cartridge calls the bud, I glued them to a circle and added the leaves. I have no idea what the paper line used was. It was something I had for a long time and the cover had come off. The leaves are just white card stock sprayed with Ditto green glimmer spray. While the spray was still wet, I took the end of a paint brush and "drew" the leaf spines on.  The butterfly is a feather butterfly I got from Michael's what seems like forever ago. The heart charms and pin are from a necklace I wore with a Halloween costume a few years ago and never wore again. I grunged up the charms with homemade gesso. I got the recipe from this link:  http://www.ajsartsanddesigns.com/2011/01/my-homemade-gesso-recipe.html. As I have never used anything but this, you will have to decide if it is worth making. You can't tell from the picture, the I randomly painted the flower with iridescent pearlescent glitter paint.
I made the dragonfly from things I had in my stash. The body is made out of beads that I had in my stash. The wings I made from packaging paper. I cut two long ovals. Green: outlined with dark green water based marker, colored rest of wing with lighter green water based marker, drew the lines in with grey water based marker. I did this on both sides, sprayed with water, let set for a few minutes, and then dried with hair dryer on the hottest setting. Once dry, I coated both sides with clear crackle paint and let air dry. I did the same process with the blue wing. The wings were then threaded onto the wire followed by two more beads to finish off the body and the head. It is hot glued on. The flowers are paper flowers from Michael's. I think I got them in the dollar aisle. I grunged the crown with gesso and adhered with hot glue. The chain is from another necklace I no longer wear. The green strip is an embossed piece of green card stock that has been distressed and grunged up with gesso.
This corner was totally an experiment. I misted the corner with my "tea" mist and let it dry. I then put down a pretty thick coat of homemade modge podge (Elmer's glue and water..more glue than water). The corner flower is 1/4 of a fabric flower I got in a garage sale a few years ago with a white bead glued to it then placed in the modge podge. That is an actual leaf from a rose my husband got me for valentine's day, and is also stuck down with modge podge. Then on top of the leaf, I put real baby's breath (yes, from the same flowers) and slathered them and the leaf in modge podge to get them to seal. Once the modge podge dried, I covered the whole thing in gesso and let it dry. I then went over the leaf with green water color paint, the baby's breath with pink mixed with red water color paint, and the fabric flower with purple water color paint. Once dry, I went over it one more time with modge podge. I did the stems in yellow green water color paint.

I have written quite a bit. I thank you if you stuck around long enough to read the whole thing. I will continue on another post, probably tomorrow. I would appreciate suggestions, comments, etc.


Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment